This is the 5th SI Edition, adapted based on the current 5th U.S. edition, and it is published in full-colour. All examples, exercises and solutions have been adapted into SI units wherever U.S. customary units are used.
As with the original U.S. 5th edition, the SI Edition takes a critical thinking approach to help introductory students learn to think like engineers. Compelling photorealistic art and a robust photograph program prompt students to visualize and think critically about engineering situations while Optional Design Examples and Computational Examples expose students to important ABET topics.
Active Example - A new example format that encourages students to spend more time thinking critically about the concepts.
- Each section contains an Active Example that is presented in a format that integrates the text and art.
- A Practice Problem - To give students additional motivation to check their understanding, the answer and full solution to the Practice Problem are included in the back of the book.
Example-focused Problems - Homework problems designed to encourage students to return to a previous example in the section and study it to expand their understanding of the concept.
- Professors can easily identify and assign these problems to encourage further study of particular examples.
Results — Subsections that present essential contents of each section.
- Explanations and their associated figures are presented in the same text/ art format as the Active Example.
30% New Homework Problems
Photorealistic Art Program — Illustrations have been specially rendered to offer photographic—almost 3D—quality.
- Helps students connect visually to engineering situations.
Triple Accuracy Checking—Every page of the book and solutions manual has been reviewed by three checkers to guarantee accuracy.
Table of Contents
4. Systems of Forces and Moments
5. Objects in Equilibrium
6. Structures in Equilibrium
7. Centroids and Centers of Mass 316
8. Moments of Inertia
10. Internal Forces and Moments
11. Virtual Work and Potential Energy